Wednesday, October 24, 2007

wwW.ednesday - Wildfires

You've probably been hearing about all the wildfires burning around here. Our immediate mountains have been spared but they're burning to the north, east, and south of us in places we love to visit - Malibu, Saugus, Big Bear, and all around San Diego.
from Google Images

A thick brown blanket of smoke is hanging in the sky above us, raining down little bits of ash. The schools are keeping the kids inside because the air is unhealthy to breathe. All the local channels have been doing non-stop wildfire coverage and they're reporting that tens of thousands of acres have burned and hundreds of houses have been destroyed.

I've been looking around my house wondering what I would take with me if I was told I had to evacuate immediately - Erik and the kids, the dog, our computers, some clothes and quilts. I'd want to take some fabric and sewing stuff, but we wouldn't have room so I'd let it go. Same goes for the art on our walls. When it comes down to it, the only really important thing is that the people and animals you love are safe.

My heart goes out to the people who can't be in their homes right now. I've made a donation from my kokoleo funds to the Red Cross Disaster Relief Fund. If you've made a kokoleo purchase in the last few months, a portion of that money went to help others today. Keep them in your thoughts and prayers. This sucks.

1 comment:

Skeezix said...

The photos of the fires are just mind boggling.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...