Monday, June 16, 2008

Made By Monday - Mishaps

I don't have much to show for this week. Sage is out of school and it's all I can do to entertain him all day, and then clean up after all that entertaining. Books, costumes, Legos, crayons, stuffed animals, couch cusions - it's a neverending task to keep these things in their places.

Speaking of misplaced things, last month two of my personalized pillows got lost in the mail. Thankfully, the customer was a friend and was very understanding. We waited FOUR weeks until I started remaking them. Here are the originals:

I was really happy with the way they came out too, which made it even more upsetting. I managed to gather most of the same fabric and make the new ones almost identical. I cut out and stitched on all the letters and was ready to turn them into pillows when I got an email that the originals had arrived! Yay!

So then I had "Mira" and "Stella" pillowtops laying around. I mentioned it to my friend Pamela, who mentioned it to our friend Molly who happens to have a niece named Mira who just so happens to have a green and purple room. Sweet! So I found a home for this one:

Now, anyone know a Stella? I'll whip you up a kokoleo for half the price.

Speaking of the aforementioned Pamela, 3 years ago I made this for her little girl:

It went perfectly in the pink room they had set up. The only problem was that Clara came out a Sam:


Oops! Let this be a lesson to always count your testicles before they hatch, er something. Don't worry though, I eventually sent Sam a "Sam" banner and Pamela sent back the "Clara" one.

Then, at a Halloween party last year I was talking to one of Erik's co-workers and he introduced his wife and baby girl named Clara. I said, "As in, C-L-A-R-A?" and they looked at me weird and said yes. I told them the story of Sam and said I'd love to give them the banner, since it was obviously destined for their daughter.

Sometimes mishaps have happy endings.

4 comments:

Shananigan said...

I love your work. I am envious of your studio and the fact that you actually have craft shows to go to.. i just moved from WV to cincinnati and thought there would be more chances here.. nope.. just granny style crafts and quilts.. bummer :(

do you have any pointers for using a zipper foot on a machine?

Anonymous said...

I just met a woman the other day with a daughter named Clara and I just had to laugh. That is one of my favourite stories ever. Poor Sam. I really thought they should have named him Clarence though. That whole episdoe goes down as one of my favourite Pamela stories and there are lots of those!

KB said...

Shananigan - WooHoo for WV! You may be able to find some sort of indie craft event in Columbus (that's where my parents live). I'll let you know if I ever come across anything. Cant' help with the zipper foot though, i'm a trial and error kinda gal.

Dani, yes, any Clara I encounter will always remind me of Sam.

textile_fetish said...

Our sofa cushions do not detach. We got rid of the old sofa and loveseat and I'm so happy that phase has passed!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...