Monday, November 05, 2007

Made by Monday - Fun with Mod Podge

I hadn't done a collage in while, so this week I got out my Mod Podge, pried the stuck cap off, and made this with a bunch of fabric scraps. I resisted the urge to stick a dinosaur in there. Then I made this:
A sewing box. I still need to do something with the inside. I have a few more in the works. I never know how they'll end up when I start them. Actually, I don't even know what I'm going to do with them all when they're done. At least they'll be more interesting looking than plain wooden boxes (which I scored at an HGTV garage sale last spring).

I also finished up a few personalized commissions.



For that last one I actually cut into my vintage embroidered linens. My customer wanted soft dainty colors and I looked through my fabric and realized that most of what I have is BRIGHT and obnoxious. So I opened up my suitcase-o-stitched-linens and started cutting. I can't just save these things forever. I have to use them. And now that I made those first cuts I have to use the rest of them.

I'm sorry ladies-who-labored-over-these-for-hours-many-years-ago, but some of them were stained in places and I just cut out the good parts. Besides, your heirs didn't want them - they sold them to me for way too cheap at your estate sale. It's either this, or have them stuck in some box in an attic somewhere. Or worse - thrown out with the trash. I don't mean to disrespect your handiwork by cutting it up. I want it to live on! I hereby give future generations permission to cut up my stuff too if it means kokoleo will live on after I'm gone.

7 comments:

sugarcreekstuff said...

I too have cut up vintage linens, not the perfect ones though. I think turning an old cast off into a new treasure is the perfect way to honor those women.
I love your funky collage. A dinosaur would be a nice touch. What did you use as your framed base?

KB said...

That frame originally held a needlepoint piece that I turned into a purse. I just adhered the fabric to to canvas board that the needlepoint had been wrapped around.

Mymsie said...

Those pillows are great!!

lisa {milkshake} said...

My favorite pillow is Sam's. Very cute!

I, too, have things that I won't touch - but that's because I'm a pack rat! Instead of cutting vintage fabrics, I just scan them and print them on paper.

KB said...

Thanks mymsie!

Good idea, Lisa. I wish I could scan my favorite fabric and have the printer spit out replicas of it. in fabric. preferably yards of it.

Anonymous said...

A HGTV garage sale?!

KB said...

Yeah, I live in North Hollywood, really close to Burbank where there are a lot of sound stages. I saw an ad on Craigslist for a garage sale for an HGTV show called Creative Juices that was selling all their stuff and moving out. I got tons of fabric, craft supplies, about 10 wooden boxes, pillows, fake fur, etc. Score!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...