Wednesday, April 02, 2008

Retro Woodsey Wednesday

This was one of my favorite toys when I was a kid. It's from Fisher Price, 1979. The log contained the Woodsey family - Mama, Papa, and little Milkweed, plus a table, three chairs, a bucket and a broom. I don't know how we managed to keep all these parts and the book all these years, but we did and I'm glad. I like watching Sage enjoy the same toys I loved as a child.

Now, go pour yourself a cup of hot tea, cuddle up with your Blanken, and Sage and I will tell you the story of the Woodseys and their adventure on a night when Lightening Strikes Twice. . .

One night there was a terrible storm that shook the Woodsey home. Lightning struck outside and the Woodseys knew they would have to leave their home in the tree right away. (I'm paraphrasing here.)

(Sage's bunk bed doubles as a tree.)

They huddled together on the forest floor.
"Don't worry," said Papa. "The same wind that blows down your house shakes berries from the bushes."

Just then a lightening bolt flashed across the sky and struck the branch where their home had been, sending it hurtling to the ground.

(The following picture is not from the story, Sage got sidetracked.)

The storm continued and little Milkweed worried. Papa reassured him, saying. "Just when you're about to run out of nuts, the spring comes."
The next morning the sun came out and little Milkweed began exploring a hollow log while Mama and Papa decided what to do next. Then Papa exclaimed, "I've got it!"
"Whatcha got, Papa?"
"An idea, Milkweed! Sometimes the shell that's hardest to crack has the best nut inside."

"We can make a house out of that hollow log over there." Papa said, and immediately the family began fixing up the log. Then a wild puma came in and killed them all. The end.

Just kidding! Sorry for the interruption. Back to the story. . .

Papa built doors and windows, Mama gathered moss for the floor, and Milkweed just screwed around (I'm paraphrasing again.)
"Don't forget, dear, busy tails are best," Mama said gently.
When their work was done they had a picnic of hazelnuts and berries.

(Or French fries, a fried egg, cookies, a donut and a potato chip - from Sage's fake food stash. Apologies to the dieticians in the family.)

After lunch (and a small earthquake) Papa and Milkweed went to gather stones to make a fireplace. Papa dropped a stone on his foot and hobbled home where there was another earthquake. The Woodseys worried that they would have to move again. But it wasn't an earthquake, it was a vest-wearing mole named Goodgrub!

(Played here by a vest-wearing turtle.) Goodgrub apologized and offered to dig them a storage hole and move on. Everyone hugged and was happy.

The end.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

I remember playing with that set over at your house! Amazing that it all survived! My kids have broken most of the things saved from my childhood. Susan

KB said...

Yep, Susan, we played with these exact same Woodseys. I thought you had a set too?

Meg said...

AHH! I loved my Woodsey Family. My mom stored it in the garage, and when I found it a couple of years ago, it was filled with baby mice and mice poop. I had to pitch it!

KB said...

Ha! I bet when the mice found it they were like, "Score! This place rocks!"

Pamela said...

AWESOME. Puma addition = #1!

I feel like I already told you that we had this and carried our guinea pig around in ours, and it peed in it. FYI.

Anonymous said...

OMG!Can I pay you to tell me bed time stories?!

Chantal/cottagewoman

Anwen said...

Wow. Thanks for sharing. My frind had one of these and I loved it. Pushing 30yrs old and still want one so bad. Maybe I can redecorate my kitchen in the theme. :)

Anonymous said...

Genial dispatch and this mail helped me alot in my college assignement. Gratefulness you as your information.

Roku Com Link said...


Thank you so much for share this type of blog keeps the users interest in this blog, I really like to read this awesome blog. If you’re looking for a way to stream your locally owned content from your computer or NAS and if you’re a Roku owner, it’s simple to link your Plex account server to your Roku device and use Plex on Roku from the comfort of your home. You can watch, listen, and control everything connected with Plex through your Roku com link activate.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...