Thursday, February 21, 2008

Thrift Thursday - The fruit of Joshua Tree.

On the main road that runs through the town of Joshua Tree I spotted two thrift stores right near the entrance to the national park. I told Erik, "You know I'm not leaving this place until I get to go in there." Although he's not a fan of thrift shopping, he obliged and even found himself a funky Tiki shirt. Lookie what I found:

Check out the oldskool Tigger, before he got all Disneyfied.

That is actually a smock shirt that ties in the back. I might wear it, but I probably won't cook in it.

Whoa, look at those freaky animals! I like the boy and girl fabric best. But not better than this:

Now that's the kinda print that sends my heart a-flutter. I loved it so much that as soon as I came home I made two toddler sundresses out of it:

each with a tiny toy that lives in the pocket:

The second most exciting fabric score was this:

which inspired me to make these:

Each with a matching heart in its pocket.

Wait! I'm not done yet. there was also this haul:

It was all folded like this when I bought it. I thought the mushrooms were awesome but the sleepy kitten/home sweet home prints were kind of dumb and the patchwork print was rather faded. But when I got home and unfolded it all I realized that's actually the backside of the patchwork print fabric and the mushroom fabric also has panels of owls and butterflies. Owls and Butterflies, people! I made this today:

Last but not least, I also got this:

Which I turned into this:
I love how this time last week I had no clue this fabric existed and now I have all this. Now, excuse me while I go see what else is out there. . .

8 comments:

lisa {milkshake} said...

Those sundresses are great! I love that you included a little present in the pockets.

But the cutest of all is McKenna, of course!

sugarcreekstuff said...

Don't you love being so inspired by fabric that you have to make stuff right away? And your fashion model is too cute!

Anonymous said...

McKenna seems to be hiding her sore toe from the picture, but seems happy enough. We have printed the pix and will frame it.

Love, MOM and DAD

Sewbitchy said...

Wow Im so jealous of that super SCORE!! So awesome that you also found time to come home and make all that great stuff right away. With a baby? Mine are almost grown and I lack time! I commend you ! :)

KB said...

Thanks! I checked out your blog creative diva. I love the name - Salvaged Stitch. I added you to my blog links.

woof nanny said...

Wow. I love the little stuffed turtle and the hearts in the pockets. Nice touch. And so cool that the fabric is finally getting new life versus collecting dust somewhere.

Anonymous said...

I really love the brown patchwork pinafore dress. Do you do them in 'grown women' sizes?

I'd love one!!

; )

KB said...

People always ask me if I make those sundresses for grownups. Maybe I should. But grownups have boobies and that makes things a little more tricky. Plus, dresses for ladies use up all my fabric. I did make a skirt with an owl applique on it. I really need to update my website soon.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...