Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Joshua Tree weekend

Every few months Erik rallies the troops and insists we take off for a weekend excursion. Last weekend we went camping in Joshua Tree California. I have to admit I wasn't excited about spending time in the desert. I guess I'm just biased toward things that are green. However, I'm learning that dusty, prickly, and rocky can be beautiful too. See?

Erik and Sage climbed rocks:

While McKenna and I watched from below.

We explored caves:

and marveled at the alien landscape:


At night as the kids slept in the tent, Erik and I sat around the campfire (drank beer) and remembered camping excursions we've been on before - breaking down at the KOA in hicktown Florida, meeting Tibetan monks in the Redwoods, taking Koko to see fireworks at Mt. Rushmore on the 4th of July, getting lost in the dunes at Cape Hatteras, waking up to a Javelina outside our tent in Big Bend Texas and seeing 3 bears outside our tent in Yellowstone (edit - I mean Yosemite. After a while the trips start to blur together). Through it all, this radio has provided our soundtrack:

Our tent is still holding up too, though it seems to be getting smaller. Ten years ago we were getting ready to embark on our month-long trip "Out West" and back home to West Virginia. Who would've thunk that ten years later we'd be back on the west coast because we live here and that same tent would be housing our two sleeping kids. Time flies.

But staring into a fire never gets old.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

KB
Hey there...have been reading your blog and am now disappointed anytime theres nothing new....so come on, what else do you have to do??
Perusing your website has inspired me to start embroidering again. I'd like to make a bag with my last thing but don't have a sewing machine (even though I suck at using one) and don't think I can make it sturdy enough by hand. What do you think? Perhaps I'll invest in one of those...yuck...machines and perhaps you can give me alesson when we're there. Which by the way, we are so excites about.
Looks like a great trip to Joshua Tree. We have a feeling that, once out there, we're not gonna want to leave!!
xoxo Maureen

KB said...

So don't leave! Stay! I think all of Shepherdstown should move here.

I'm glad you're embroidering again. I remember some of the hippie stuff you made back in the day - all by hand. Make more! I'm sure your girls will cherish anything you create.

We can't wait to see you guys!

Anonymous said...

Aw, what a great post. I love this.

xo Lela

KB said...

Thanks Lela! Coming from someone who works at the New York Times, I take that as a BIG compliment.

textile_fetish said...

I've been to Joshua Tree. . . back in '90. Did you have to bring your own water? We only stayed until sunset.

KB said...

Yep, we had water. And beer! and marshmallows.

Anonymous said...

i am a wv gal myself. good ol milton girl.. home of the largest flea market in wv as well as the lions den.. go milton :) now enjoying life in cincinnati :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...