Sunday, October 21, 2007

Sunday Confessional - I'm a reject

I didn't get in to the Felt Club holiday show this year. I'd be lying if I didn't admit that my heart broke a bit when I found out. My first craft rejection! And from Felt Club, no less. I think there's only two or three Felt Club shows that I haven't been a part of. Maybe that's why I didn't get in. Everyone and their mother is applying now and they need to bring in fresh blood. At least, this is what I tell myself. Another part of me wonders if my stuff just sucks and someone finally told me. Whatever it is, it was a wake-up call that I need to freshen up my wares, expand my craft show horizons, and start doing new things with kokoleo. There's nothing like a good dose of rejection to inspire a person to embrace change.

Don't get me wrong, I still heart Felt Club. I'm even looking forward to being able to leisurely walk around and shop this time. Besides, I have enough on my plate this holiday season. I applied to a bunch of other holiday shows in the area and to my surprise, got into them all. Yay! But also, Crap! November and December are going to be busy months. There's the Foundations School Community Harvest Festival on November 17th, Handmade for the Holidays on November 23rd and 24th, The Little Monster Market December 1st in Studio City, Craftmas Bizarre at the FAKE gallery on December 9th, and the "Welcome to Dollywood" plush show at Monkeyhouse Toys sometime in December.

Eek! I need to start making more things to sell and also start figuring out new display contraptions. I'm hoping to make enough money to A. put toward the studio addition and B. buy myself a new camera (Nikon D40, I covet thee) because our crappy little automatic is on it's last legs (lens?) and also, we spilled beer on it last night. Oh, and C. give my kids some nice things for Christmas.

If you live in the area, please come out to these shows! I'll no doubt be blabbering more about them as they approach.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh, I covet the Nikon D40 as well. I can't get a good picture of my kids to save my soul.
Now I too must come up with a plan to buy it!
Rachel

sugarcreekstuff said...

Your stuff just sucks comment was a crack up. I'm a things happen for a reason gal and it sounds like you have plenty on your plate with all the other shows. Your stuff is great and one of a kind, it is always good to mix in new things once and awhile, gives old customers something else to buy.

p.s. My 13 year old son loves your hubbies art.

KB said...

Thanks sugarcreek. Yes, Erik's paintings do appeal to the teen boy set - monsters, comic-looking characters, boobies, etc. Ha!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...