Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Tutorial Tuesday: New Life for Old Embroidery

Since McKenna doesn't read my blog I figure I can share this Christmas present I made for her. When I was her age I had this embroidered piece hanging in my bedroom:


I think my mom made it, but I'm not sure since it doesn't have the M.A.P. initials she usually stitches on her work. I remember it in my bedroom in the first house I lived in, but I think it went into storage after that. When I got it back a few years ago it was falling out of it's frame and had a water stain at the top. I won't recommend doing this to your vintage embroidery, but I took it out of the frame and threw it in the washer. Luckily, it held up well. Next, I folded it in half:


and carefully cut around the boy and the girl making sure not to snip any important parts. If you want to do a project like this and don't have two similarly shaped embroidery pieces, you could simply use fabric for the backing.

I machine stitched those pieces together and when it was still inside-out, I cut out a circle of velvet and stitched it around the base leaving a two-inch opening. I then turned it right-side out, stuffed it, and stitched it closed. In a matter of 15 minutes an old embroidered piece became a brand new two-sided doll.


 I love that something I used to stare at on my wall when I was a three-year-old is now something my three-year-old can hold.

3 comments:

oakleyses said...

air max, oakley sunglasses, nike air max, uggs on sale, michael kors pas cher, louis vuitton outlet, longchamp pas cher, longchamp outlet, polo ralph lauren, oakley sunglasses, polo outlet, jordan pas cher, replica watches, christian louboutin, oakley sunglasses, cheap oakley sunglasses, nike air max, tiffany jewelry, ugg boots, longchamp outlet, christian louboutin outlet, chanel handbags, prada outlet, jordan shoes, ray ban sunglasses, nike outlet, prada handbags, louis vuitton outlet, gucci handbags, nike free, nike free run, louis vuitton outlet, replica watches, ray ban sunglasses, sac longchamp pas cher, ray ban sunglasses, kate spade outlet, oakley sunglasses wholesale, louboutin pas cher, christian louboutin uk, polo ralph lauren outlet online, ugg boots, tory burch outlet, nike roshe, louis vuitton, louis vuitton, tiffany and co, christian louboutin shoes, longchamp outlet

oakleyses said...

oakley, gucci, converse outlet, abercrombie and fitch, instyler, ray ban, soccer jerseys, lululemon, iphone cases, nike trainers uk, hollister, louboutin, valentino shoes, vans, reebok outlet, insanity workout, soccer shoes, nike roshe run, baseball bats, ghd hair, north face outlet, vans outlet, giuseppe zanotti outlet, p90x workout, lancel, nike air max, herve leger, mcm handbags, timberland boots, asics running shoes, wedding dresses, hollister clothing, bottega veneta, longchamp uk, nfl jerseys, babyliss, hollister, new balance shoes, chi flat iron, jimmy choo outlet, ralph lauren, north face outlet, hermes belt, beats by dre, mont blanc pens, celine handbags, nike air max, mac cosmetics, ferragamo shoes, nike huaraches

jasonbob said...

off white
golden goose
bape
jordan 11
stone island hoodie
kawhi leonard shoes
nike react
lebron shoes
supreme outlet
hermes handbags

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...