Friday, September 26, 2008

Another Mama for Obama

Have you been following the news? I have, and I can honestly say that never in my life have I seen so many crises in our country. Growing up, I never felt like we had a revolution to get excited about. I was jealous of the 60s. I think these are our 60s. The times they are a'changin. . . finally! I just hope it's for the better. It certainly can't get much worse.

And yet, we're muddling through. Our house is worth half of what we paid for it, groceries and gas and utilities are costing more, business is down in shops where I sell my stuff, and we're doing without a lot of extras. But, it's not so bad, really. In a way, I think it's a wake-up call this country needed. Times like these make you realize what's really important. Still, my heart goes out to those who are losing their jobs, homes, life savings, etc.

Now that Sage is back in school, I'm enjoying a new routine where I sew and listen to CNN during McKenna's naptime. If I'm a housewife then this is my soap opera, complete with drama, intrigue, excitement, and scandal. I was super-excited to watch the debate, then a bit disappointed that there wasn't a hands-down winner. I have tried to keep an open mind and I'll be the first to acknowledge a valid point by the other side, but I'm no fence-sitting swing-voter. I know without a doubt who I trust and know can lead us in a brand new direction. And I know without a doubt who I think has some terrible ideas. Trouble is, half the country seems to like that guy just as much as I like mine and they think all those terrible ideas are good ones. It's shaping up to be a nail-biter of an election, and we still have 5 weeks to go! All I know is we better get it right this time because the last 8 years have shown us that the wrong choice can ruin everything.

Last weekend I volunteered to work a phone bank calling voters in Nevada to talk about the issues and encourage them to vote for Barack Obama. It was pretty intimidating, sometimes disheartening, sometimes uplifting (one woman told me I convinced her Obama was her man), and generally a good way to spend an afternoon. I also helped handwrite postcards to voters in the swing states while I sat around a picnic table with other Obama supporters discussing the latest news stories. That equals fun in my book. Those few volunteer hours were the least I could do, literally, it wasn't much. There are people out there doing way more for the cause and I applaud and support them.

While I was there I got lots of compliments on this barrette (for sale on Etsy) that I made, and I donated $20 and got that bracelet and ring a lady was selling. I love all the grassroots handmade political gear that I'm seeing, especially because it's mostly all pro-Obama. (I guess McCain folk aren't that crafty? Granted, I do live in liberal L.A.) We went to the Abbot Kinney Festival in Venice Beach today and it was like a Grateful Dead show with everyone digging each other's t-shirts and other gear. Here are just a few that I managed to capture:

Are you registered to vote in your area? If not, there's still a little time left. Google yourself a registration form and then on November 4th just fill in the box that says Obama/Biden. It's easy!

3 comments:

Rebecca Kendig said...

Awesomeness KB! Thank you for all the good work you are doing! Powers to the Mamas and to Obama!

textile_fetish said...

There is a little MCCain representation on etsy, but it's by no means cute. It's more like buttons, no humor or wit. I do like the "Nope" stickers.

topills.com scam said...

We had a similar kit, and I found the process hard to photograph. Even the butterflies had to be urged to open their wings and look pretty for the camera.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...