I've noticed this tag thing going around blogs but up until now I've never participated. Jennifer from Textile Fetish tagged me last week to list 7 random and/or weird things about myself. Here goes:
1. The name on my birth certificate and drivers license is actually Karen Elizabeth, but the only people who have ever call me that are doctors, nurses, police officers, and teachers on the first day of school. My parents and friends always called me Karebeth growing up (you take the "n" off of Karen and the "Eliza" off Elizabeth and then put what's left together) and reserved "KarenElizabeth!" for when I was in trouble. Consequently I hate being called Karen. Do you know how infuriating it is, in the middle of labor, to hear a nurse say, "Push Karen! Push!" Grrr. Everyone was always misspelling and mispronouncing Karebeth (not Karabeth) so in college I started going by KB. Still, when I tell people my name, they usually say, "Nice to meet you, Katie."
2. I have a very long tongue. Sometimes I pull it out at parties and people gasp and take pictures.
3. In junior high and high school I played ice hockey (defense), soccer (defense), ran track (hurdles), and was on the swimming (backstroke) and diving teams. I didn't consider myself a jock though. I preferred hanging out with the hippies. Also, I have zero interest in watching sports on t.v.
4. In 1999 I started posting on the Jane Magazine message boards. My screen name was Savannah because that's where I was living at the time. I made some great friends through that board, some whom I've met in real life and many who I consider to be some of my best friends since I "talk" (type?) to them almost every day. A few years ago we had a mass exodus (or did they kick us off?) from the magazine's message board (about the time Jane Pratt left) and started other smaller boards. We talk about celebrities and sucky jobs and our kids and what we're wearing. We've supported one another through marriages, births, new jobs, new houses, deaths, divorces. . . you name it. Damn, we're getting old. I sometimes wonder if we'll all still be whootin' it up on the internet when we're in nursing homes.
5. I hate following patterns. Usually when I sew, I make the pattern up as I go. If I like it, I make a copy of it out of cardstock to use again. The tissue paper that comes with store-bought patterns drives me mental. Also, I have no patience when it comes to following directions. Hmmm, that must be where Sage gets it.
6. I'm a bad cook. You know how some blogs have beautiful photographs of fancy meals that the blogger whipped up? You won't see many of those from me. If I don't add all the wrong spices, I overcook things, undercook things, burn things and generally just make ugly food. Occasionally, I put together a decent meal and everyone remarks what a novelty it is. Luckily, Erik is an awesome and adventurous chef, so we don't starve.
7. I won a tractor from our local news station when we lived in West Virginia. They put me on a commercial and everything. We used it for a year and then sold it and used the money to get across the country when we moved to California.
There. Now you know everything about me.
Now it's my turn to tag some people.
For the tagged, The rules are as follows:
Link to the person that tagged you and post the rules on your blog.
Share 7 random and/or weird things about yourself.
Tag 7 random people at the end of your post and include links to their blogs.
Let each person know that they have been tagged by leaving a comment on their blog.
West Coast Crafty
more later, maybe.